National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR)
Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
The method of Progressive Tinnitus Management (PTM) was developed by NCRAR researchers over 10 years ago. It is a stepped-care method of tinnitus management, meaning that people with tinnitus receive the level of services that are required by the severity of their condition. Please click on the below links for access to PTM materials.
- Educational video about tinnitus "Ringing in the Ears: What Can I do About It?"
- Tinnitus Questions and Answers (brochure)
- How to Manage Your Tinnitus: A Step-by-Step Workbook: 3 versions
- How to Manage Your Tinnitus: A Step-by-Step Workbook (abbreviated web version)
- How to Manage Your Tinnitus: A Step-by-Step Workbook (appreviated print version)
- How to Manage Your Tinnitus: A Step-by-Step Workbook (original version)
- Progressive Tinnitus Management (PTM) Videos
- Hearing and Hearing Loss... because those with tinnitus also often have hearing loss.
- How does the Brain Help Us Hear? (brochure) (Gallun/Saunders)
- Hearing Conservation (brochure) (Dann/Saunders)
- Tips for Improving your Listening Experience (brochure) (Lewis/Saunders)
- Hearing Aids: The Basics (brochure) (O'Connell Bennett/Saunders)
- Sound tolerance... because some people who have tinnitus also have trouble tolerating sound.
- Patient voices... you may be interested in hearing how tinnitus affects others. Click here to go to our Patient Voices page: Real patients with real stories to share.