National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR)
Audiology Training Program
1 Year Externships 2017-2018
VA Portland Health Care System
The Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Service and the National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR) at the VA Portland Health Care System offer a joint AuD externship training program funded by VHA Office of Academic Affiliations. Note: These externships are available only to US citizens.
Experiences at the NCRAR will include:
- Participating in multiple aspects of clinical research such as participant recruitment and testing, adherence to research protocols applying human subject participation regulations, writing of clinical notes and data entry.
- Conducting a variety of clinical research procedures that may include audiometric testing, hearing aid fitting, central auditory processing testing, electroacoustic testing of hearing aids, tinnitus assessment and treatment and electrophysiological methods (ABR, EPs, OAEs)
- Attending NCRAR seminars and research meetings, participating in the grant-writing process, preparing publications and conference presentations, and conducting statistical analyses of research data.
Experiences at the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Service will include:
- All aspects of auditory assessment and treatment management including diagnostic hearing evaluations, hearing aid selection, fitting, counseling, orientation, follow-up care, outcome measures, consult writing, progress note completion, and encounter reporting.
- Experience in auditory processing disorders clinic, OAE, ABR and vestibular assessments, tinnitus assessment and treatment.
- Working with a broad range of top tier hearing aid technology (including Bluetooth devices) among largest international hearing aid manufacturers using Noah 4 programming.
- Experience with VA Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS).
- In-house training with major hearing aid manufacturers’ latest products.
- Collaboration with other health care providers.
Update: The application deadline for 2017-2018 externships has passed, and students have been selected.
Any student interested in applying should send a brief email to Dr. Michael Sullivan, Trainee Coordinator, email@example.com, stating his or her intent to apply.
Applicants should submit a cover letter stating interest and career goals, curriculum vitae, unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and three letters of recommendation. In addition to the standard letter of support please have your letter writers complete this form.
At least one recommendation should be from an academic professor and one from a clinical instructor. An academic and clinical professor can speak to both areas, if applicable. Letters of recommendation can be emailed to Dr. Sullivan directly by the professor or can be included in the student's application. Please include "Letter of Recommendation for Name of Applicant" in the subject line.
Ideally, please combine all files into a single PDF before emailing.
For more information:
- If you would like clarification or further information regarding the NCRAR research rotation, please contact Dr. Gaby Saunders, Associate Director, NCRAR, at 503-220-8262, x56210, or by email, at Gabrielle.Saunders@va.gov.
- If you would like clarification or further information about the clinical rotation, please contact Dr. Matt Hamilton-Sutherland, Trainee Coordinator and Assistant Chief, by email, at Matthew.Hamilton-Sutherland2@va.gov.