National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR)
NCRAR Monthly Seminar Series - CEU Details
The current month's seminar info and CEU documents are below (see highlighted section when you scroll to the bottom of the page).
Date: Thursday, May 13, 2021
Time: 12-1pm (Pacific)
Location: VA Portland Health Care System, NCRAR (Virtual)
Sadie Larson, PhD, Clinical psychologist and researcher at the Milwaukee VA, Associate Professor at the Medical College of Wisconsin
Elissa McCarthy, PhD, Clinical psychologist specializing in the assessment and treatment of PTSD and insomnia at the Connecticut VA
Melissa Papesh, PhD, AuD Research Investigator and Licensed Audiologist, NCRAR
Title: The Association between PTSD and Audiology: What to Know and How You Can Help
Abstract: Approximately 34% of patients presenting for care in a VA audiology clinic had concurrent PTSD (Fagelson, 2007). We will present an overview of PTSD, including an understanding of how PTSD symptoms and audiology concerns may impact each other. Education and resources related to evidence-based treatments for PTSD will be discussed. We will also provide recommendations related to trauma-informed audiology care with case examples. Finally, we will present an overview of the National Center for PTSD Consultation Program and other resources that may be helpful to audiologists who interact with Veterans with PTSD.
• Outline at least 3 PTSD treatment options and share strategies on how talk with patients about PTSD treatment.
• Describe at least 3 ways PTSD and audiology concerns may impact each other.
• Identify at least 3 resources produced by the National Center for PTSD.
*IMPORTANT DETAILS: The seminars will be broadcast via Microsoft Teams.
To receive a Teams invitation, you must contact Marianne Pierson at Marianne.Pierson@va.gov before 5 p.m. on Wednesday, May 12th, and she will send you an email invitation with a Microsoft Teams link.
Once you have a Microsoft Teams invitation, please see the instructions for joining below at the time of the call:
1. Click on the “Join Microsoft Teams Meeting” link in the Outlook invitation for the seminar (in the Outlook calendar)
2. Click on “Join now," and mute your microphone.
3. Alternately, you can simply call the telephone number listed below the "Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" link. Note: MUTE your phone; do not place your phone on hold.
DVDs: If you would like a copy of the DVD after the presentation, please email Marianne Pierson at Marianne.Pierson@va.gov and one will be sent to you once they are available.
CEUs: If you wish to receive CEUs for watching the seminar, please click on the links below to download the TWO* forms you will need:
|1. ASHA Participant form NOTE: this is a fillable form!!** (see instructions below) We do not accept scanned forms|
|2. Evaluation form|
You will need to return BOTH forms within 5 business days (May 19th) in order to receive credit. Send them to Marianne Pierson at Marianne.Pierson@va.gov.
NCRAR is approved by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association to offer 0.1 CEU for this continuing education activity (Advanced level, Professional Area).
**Fillable Form instructions: How to Complete the ASHA Participant form electronically
• Enter your identifying information as usual in upper right section
• Click in the middle of bubble/box section for your last name
• The boxes/ grid lines disappear and empty white space appears in the middle
• Type in your name
• Hit TAB; Your responses, both your typed letters as well as the grid lines with boxes colored-in will reappear
• Enter your ASHA number in next section the same way
• Hit TAB and numbers fill in the boxes