National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR)
NCRAR Monthly Seminar Series - CEU Details
The current month's seminar info and CEU documents are below (see highlighted section when you scroll to the bottom of the page).
Date: Thursday, December 9, 2021
Time: 12-1pm (Pacific)
Location: VA Portland Health Care System, NCRAR (Virtual)
Presenter: Eric Bielefeld, Au.D., Ph.D.
Title: Expanding our View of Ototoxicity as we Expand our Definition of Hearing Loss
Abstract: Pre-clinical research has helped to inform an expanding definition of hearing loss beyond what can be gleaned solely from the clinical audiogram. As that definition of hearing loss expands, so does the need to investigate different drug compounds for potential ototoxicity and techniques to prevent it. Further, we are challenged to evaluate how different sources of hearing loss interact with each other to induce threshold shifts and/or impairments of supra-threshold complex sound coding.
Learner Outcomes: Upon completion of this session, participants will be able to:
• Describe the conventional and expanded clinical perspectives on hearing loss.
• Identify new classes of compounds that have the potential to be ototoxic and for which ongoing research is needed.
• Describe how different causes of hearing loss can interact with each other in additive, synergistic, or antagonistic ways.
Note: Eric Bielefeld is a licensed and certified audiologist, and professor in the Department of Speech and Hearing Science at The Ohio State University, has relevant financial relationships to disclose as a recipient of grants from the American Speech, Language and Hearing Foundation, and The Ohio State University Addiction Initiative, and no non-relevant financial relationships to disclose.
*IMPORTANT DETAILS: The seminars will be broadcast via Microsoft Teams.
To receive a Teams invitation, you must contact Marianne Pierson at Marianne.Pierson@va.gov before 5 p.m. on Wednesday, December 8, and she will send you an email invitation with a Microsoft Teams link.
Once you have a Microsoft Teams invitation, please see the instructions for joining below at the time of the call:
1. Click on the “Join Microsoft Teams Meeting” link in the Outlook invitation for the seminar (in the Outlook calendar)
2. Click on “Join now," and mute your microphone.
3. Alternately, you can simply call the telephone number listed below the "Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" link. Note: MUTE your phone; do not place your phone on hold.
DVDs: If you would like a copy of the DVD after the presentation, please email Marianne Pierson at Marianne.Pierson@va.gov and one will be sent to you once they are available.
CEUs: If you wish to receive CEUs for watching the seminar, please click on the links below to download the TWO* forms you will need:
|1. ASHA Participant form NOTE: this is a fillable form!!** (see instructions below) We do not accept scanned forms|
|2. Evaluation form|
You will need to return BOTH forms within 5 business days (December 16th) in order to receive credit. Send them to Marianne Pierson at Marianne.Pierson@va.gov.
NCRAR is approved by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association to offer 0.1 CEU for this continuing education activity (Advanced level, Professional Area).
**Fillable Form instructions: How to Complete the ASHA Participant form electronically
• Dowload/save the form to your computer, and then you will be able to fill in the form.
• Enter your identifying information as usual in upper right section
• Click in the middle of bubble/box section for your last name
• The boxes/ grid lines disappear and empty white space appears in the middle
• Type in your name
• Hit TAB; Your responses, both your typed letters as well as the grid lines with boxes colored-in will reappear
• Enter your ASHA number in next section the same way
• Hit TAB and numbers fill in the boxes