National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR)
Laurie King, Ph.D., PT
- Associate Professor, Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University
- Research Investigator, NCRAR
- Research Scientist, Center for Regenerative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University
Neurologic rehabilitation research, Parkinson’s disease, traumatic brain injury, postural control and balance disorders and outcome measures.
Current Research Projects
Assessment and Rehabilitation of Central Sensory Impairments for Balance in mTBI
Principal Investigator: Laurie King, Ph.D., PT
Department of Defense (10/1/15 – 9/30/19)
Objective and portable balance and gait measures to document recovery after concussion
Principal Investigator: Laurie King, Ph.D., PT
NIH R21 (8/5/14-8/4/16)
Frontal Cortex and Gait Freezing in Parkinson’s Disease: Rehabilitation Impact
Co-Investigator (PI Horak)
VA RR&D (1/1/14-12/31/17)
Peripheral and Central Postural Disorders in the Elderly
Role: Co-Investigator (PI Horak)
NIH/National Institute of Aging R01 (4/1/14-3/31/19)
Mellone S, Mancini M, King LA, Horak FB, Chiari L. (2016) The quality of turning in Parkinson's disease: a compensatory strategy to prevent postural instability? Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation (In Press).
Gera G, Freeman L, Blackington M, Horak F, King LA (2016) Identification of Balance Deficits in People with Parkinson Disease; is the Sensory Organization Test Enough? Int J Phys Med Rehabil, 4(1): 322.
Freeman L, Gera G, Blackington M, Horak F, King LA (2016) The Instrumented Test of Sensory Integration for Balance: A Validation Study. Journal Geriatric Physical Therapy (In Press).
Haran, FJ, Slaboda, JC, King, LA, Wright, WG, Houlihan, D, & Norris, JN. (2015). Sensitivity of the Balance Error Scoring System and the Sensory Organization Test in the Combat Environment. Journal of Neurotrauma, (in press).
St George R, Carlson-Kuhta, P, King, LA, Burchiel KJ, & Horak FB. (2015). Compensatory stepping in Parkinson's Disease is still a problem after Deep Brain Stimulation randomized to STN or GPi. Journal of Neurophysiology, 114(3);1417-23.
Peterson DS, King LA, Horak FB (2015) Cognitive Contributions to Freezing of Gait in Parkinson Disease- Implications for Physical Rehabilitation. Physical Therapy (In Press).
King LA, Wilhelm J, Chen Y, Blehm R, Nutt J, Chen Z, Serdar A, & Horak FB. (2015) Effects of group, individual and home exercise in Parkinson's disease: a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, 39(4);204-12.
Wilhelm JL, King LA (2015) Exercise for persons with Parkinson disease; important considerations of medication, assessment and training. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, 39(2);93-4.
Mancini M, El-Gohary M, Pearson S, Schulter H, Nutt J, King LA, & Horak FB. (2015) Continuous Monitoring of Turning in Parkinson’s disease: Rehabilitation Potential. Journal of Neurorehabilitation; preprint 1-8.
King LA, Priest KC, Nutt J, Chen Y, Chen Z, Melnick M, & Horak FB. (2014). Comorbidity and Functional Mobility in Persons with Parkinson Disease. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 95(11), 2152-2157.
Horak FB, King LA, & Mancini M. (2014). Role of Body-Worn Movement Monitor Technology for Balance and Gait Rehabilitation. Physical Therapy, 95(3), 1-10.
King LA. (2014). Beyond the Vestibular System—Other Contributions to Balance Control. Perspectives on Hearing and Hearing Disorders: Research and Diagnostics, 18(1), 16-23.
King LA, Horak FB, Mancini, Pierce D, Priest K, Chesnutt, Chapman J. (2014) Instrumented Balance Error Scoring System (iBESS) for detecting abnormalities after sports-related concussion. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, (13):01111-8.
Van der Kolk N, King LA. (2013) Effects of Exercise on Mobility in People With Parkinson’s disease. Movement Disorders. 28(11):1587-96.
King LA, Salarian A, Mancini M, et al. (2013) Exploring Outcome Measures for Exercise Intervention in People with Parkinson’s Disease, Parkinson's Disease, (13):572134.
Mancini M, King LA, Salarian A, Holstrom L, McNames J, & Horak FB. (2012) Mobility Lab to Assess Balance and Gait with Synchronized Body-worn Sensors. J of Bioengineering & Biomedical Science, S1:007.
Mancini M, Salarian A, Carlson-Kuhta P, Zampieri P, King LA, Chiari L, & Horak FB. (2012) ISWAY: a Sensitive, Valid and Reliable Measure of Postural Control. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 9;59.
King LA, Mancini M, Priest KC, Salarain A, &Horak F (2012) Do clinical scales of balance reflect turning abnormalities in people with Parkinson's disease? Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, 36(1):25-31.
King LA, Priest K, Mancini M Salarian A, Pierce D., Horak F (2011) Comparing the Mini-BESTest with the Berg Balance Scale to Evaluate Balance Disorders in Parkinson’s Disease. Parkinson’s Disease. Vol 2012, 7 pages.
Jones K, King LA, Mist S, Bennett R, & Horak FB. (2011) Postural control deficits in people with fibromyalgia: A Pilot study. Arthritis Research & Therapy, 13(4);R.127.
King LA, St. George R, Carlson-Kuhta P, Nutt J, & Horak FB. (2010) Preparation for compensatory stepping in Parkinson’s disease. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 91(9):1332-1338.
Wright WG, Gurfinkel VS, King LA, Nutt JG, Cordo PJ, & Horak FB. (2010) Axial Kinesthesia impaired in Parkinson’s disease: Effects of levodopa pharmacotherapy. Experimental Neurology, 225(1):202-9.
King LA & Horak FB. (2009) Delaying Mobility disability in Parkinson's disease with a sensorimotor agility exercise program. Physical Therapy, 89(4):384-393.
King LA & Horak FB. (2008) Lateral stepping strategies and postural control in Parkinson’s disease. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 89:491-498.
Wright WG, Gurfinkel VS, King LA, Horak F, & Cordo PJ (2007) Motor asymmetry in Parkinson’s disease contributes to spatial perceptual asymmetry. Neurscience Letters, 417(1); 10-15.
King LA, Mitrophanous KA, Clark LA, Kim VN, Rohll JB, Kingsman AJ, & Colello RJ (2000) Growth factor enhanced retroviral gene transfer to the adult CNS. Gene Therapy, 7(13):1103-11.
International and National:
- Faculty for 2-hour educational session for Combined Sections Meeting, "Translating the science of balance: Rehabilitation based on quantification of sensory integration". Anaheim CA 2016.
- Chair for Session on 'Balance and Gait in Health and Disease' at Society for Neuroscience meeting, Chicago IL 2015.
- Invited lecturer for online course at University of Montana (via Rehab Essentials) to direct a course in physical therapy management of patient with neurologic disorders.
- Symposia accepted for the ACRM 92nd Annual Conference,Progress in Rehabilitation Research (PIRR)to October 2015 Dallas, Texas. Progress and Report of the ACRM Outcome Measurement Networking Group (OMNG) Applied Cognition Task Force.
- Speaker for Sports and Health Research Program Stakeholders Board Meeting update on R21 funded project on objective measures of balance control following concussion; Foundation NIH, Washington DC March 2015.
- Invited speaker The Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society. "The use of wearable sensors to instrument clinical balance testing to improve objective assessment after concussion." Portland, OR March 2015.
- Invited speaker for the International Congress Assistance Association for Handicapped Children (AACD), Sao Paulo, Brazil July 2015.
- Platform Presentation: "Acute and Post-Acute Assessment of Postural Control and Cognitive Efficiency Following Concussion", Combined Sections Meeting, Indianapolis, IN 2015.
- Platform Presentation: "Postural Sway Metrics after Concussion; Implications for Balance Testing. Military Health System Research Symposium", Fort Lauderdale, FL Aug 2014.
- Invited Speaker for Balance and Fall Special Intrest Group Combined Sections Meeting; "Everyone is talking about falls screening assesment and outcome measures." Las Vegas, NV Feb 2014.
- Platform Speaker for the American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting; Instrumentation of Clinical Balance and Gait Test For Rehabilitation Assessment." San Diego CA 2013.
- Faculty for the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine, half day course; "Instrumentation of Clinical Balance and Gait Tests For Rehabilitation Assessment." Vancouver, BC Nov 2012.
- Faculty for the Combined Sections Meeting (APTA); half-day course: "Instrumentation of Clinical Balance and Gait Tests For Rehabilitation Assessment." San Diego, Oct 2012.
- Platform presentation at the American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting;"Evaluation of turning in Parkinson's disease." San Diego, CA Feb 2010.
- Platform prensentation: "Lateral stepping for postural correction in Parkinson's disease." American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting; Nashville TN Feb 2009.
- Guest lecturer at University of Montana, School of Physical Therapy. "Exercise and Parkinson's disease." Missoula, MT Oct 2008.
Regional and Local:
- Guest speaker at the Oregon Brain Injury Association on topic of research directions on balance and mTBI, Portland OR March 2016.
- Guest speaker for Young Onset Parkinson Disease March 2016 to speak on the science of exercise for Parkinson's disease. OHSU Portland OR March 2016.
- Guest speaker at Oregon State University Geriatric Conference on balance and falls. Corvallis, OR 2014
- Neurology Grand Rounds OHSU. "Exercise for Parkinson's disease" Feb 2013.
- Guest speaker at Basal Ganglia Coterie. "An Update on Exercise and Parkinson's disease". Hood River, OR 2013
- Guest speaker for Oregon Health & Science University Rehabilitation Symposium; "Role of Research in Rehabilitation." Portland, OR 2012
- Guest Speaker for Oregon Physical Therapy Association Annual Meeting; "Systems Approach to Balance in the Neurologic Population". Portland, OR March 31, 2012
- Guest speaker for the Visiting Nurse Faculty, 'Exercise for Parkinson's Disease' Portland OR Oct 2012.
- Guest speaker for the Brian Grant Foundation annual 'Shake it till you make it fundraiser', Young Onset Parkinson's disease, "Potential Mobility Constraints in PD". Portland, OR 2012.
- Invited Speaker: Foundation for Physical Therapy. "The Role of Research in Rehabilitive Medicine. Seattle, WA Nov 2011.
- Guest speaker for the Parkinson Center of Oregon Young Onset PD Conference; "Exercise and Parkinson's disease: application to early onset PD." Portland, OR 2007